School Transport Assistance Scheme
The Queensland Government provides assistance for eligible students travelling to and from school under the school-transport-assistance-scheme
General eligibility criteria
Students may be eligible for assistance under STAS if they:
- have parents/guardians who are residents of Queensland
- attend an approved school on a full-time basis
- are younger than 19 years of age
- are seeking transport assistance to and from one address only
- are travelling more than 1 trip per week
Students who satisfy the above STAS general eligibility criteria may also be eligible for bus and ferry transport assistance.
In Queensland, there are two types of bus transport assistance available to eligible students.
Distance based assistance
Distance based assistance is available to students who do not have a state school in their local area.
To be eligible for distance based assistance:
- primary school students must live more than 3.2 km from the nearest state primary school
- secondary school students must live more than 4.8 km from the nearest state secondary school
- non-state school students must live more than the required distances from both the nearest state and non-state school of the type attended.
All measurements are by the shortest trafficable route and are based on the nearest school which offers the required year level.
Safety-net travel assistance
Safety-net travel assistance is available for students who are financially disadvantaged and live close to their nearest state school.
To be eligible for safety-net assistance, students must live under the distances stated for distance based assistance, and be listed as a dependent on the applicant’s:
- Health Care Card issued by the Department of Human Services (or hold their own Health Care Card)
- Pensioner Concession Card issued by the Department of Human Services
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs Pensioner Concession Card; or
- be a student placed under a Child Protection Order by the Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services.
Students must also not be in receipt of any other STAS assistance.
Applications must be in the name of the cardholder and require evidence of eligibility to meet the above safety-net criteria.
The cardholder must sign a certification allowing data matching to occur under Centrelink. Applicants who do not agree to this condition will not be eligible to receive safety-net assistance.
For more information regarding the School Transport Assistance Scheme or regarding your eligibility please go to
Students attending non state schools
Students attending non state primary or high schools may also be eligible through the Non State Schools Transport Assistance Scheme (NSSTAS)
To check your eligibility through this scheme please visit https://schooltransport.com.au/
Gatton Bus School Services
Our current runs are listed below.
|Run||Area Serviced||School/s Serviced|
|Run 1||Buaraba, Gatton/Esk Rd||Gatton PS, Lockyer District HS, Peace, OLGC|
|Run 2||Lockrose, Lockyer Waters, Brightview||Gatton PS, Lockyer District HS, Peace, OLGC, Lake Clarendon|
|Run 4||Regency Downs||Glenore Grove PS|
|Run 5||Glenore Grove, UQ||Gatton PS, Lockyer District HS, Peace, OLGC|
|Run 6||Forest Hill, Laidley Heights||Laidley PS, St Marys, Laidley HS, Forest Hill PS, Gatton PS, Lockyer District HS, Peace, OLGC|
|Run 7||Laidley Heights||Blenheim PS, Laidley PS, St Marys, Laidley HS, Forest Hill PS, Gatton PS, Lockyer District HS, Peace, OLGC|
|Run 9||Woodlands Estate, Ingoldsby, Ropeley, Rockside||Ropeley PS, Gatton PS, Lockyer District HS, Peace, OLGC|
|Run 10||Junction View, Tenthill, Mt Sylvia||Gatton PS, Lockyer District HS, Peace, OLGC, Tenthill PS|
|Run 11||Flagstone Cr, Mt Whitestone||Gatton PS, Lockyer District HS, Peace, OLGC|
|Run 12||Helidon, Grantham||Gatton PS, Lockyer District HS, Grantham PS, Peace, OLGC|
|Run 14||Gatton to Toowoomba||Fairholme, Toowoomba Grammar, Concordia, Harristown, St Josephs, St Saviour’s, Centenary Heights, Glennie, St Mary’s, St Ursulas, Downlands, Toowoomba High, Tafe (by request)|
|Run 16||Placid Hills, Koala Park, Golf Links||Gatton PS, Lockyer District HS, Peace, OLGC, Grantham PS|
|Run 17||Adare||Gatton PS, Lockyer District HS, Peace, OLGC|